Former UI band director sentenced for instrument theft

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Former University Director of Bands Robert Rumbelow pleaded guilty to one count of theft control intent Tuesday and was sentenced to two years of conditional discharge, according to the Champaign County Circuit Clerk.  

The conditional discharge sentence is a more lenient form of probation and means that, although he still has conditions to follow, Rumbelow will not have to meet with a probation officer, the Office of the State’s Attorney.

In September, Rumbelow was charged with two counts of theft control intent after a University Police Department investigation found he sold $50,000 worth of University instruments and deposited the money into his personal bank account. The second count was dismissed.

Rumbelow resigned in August after the investigation and admitted to selling the instruments. He said he intended to return the money to the band department, according to the University Police. He paid the University $86,000 amid his resignation.

“I think things worked out the way they probably should have,” said University Police Detective James Carter, who was the lead investigator of the case. “He basically owned up to things he shouldn’t have done. I think justice was served in that case.”