21 pounds of cannabis seized by University Police

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The University Police Department arrested three people Thursday on the charges of calculated criminal cannabis conspiracy after uncovering 21 pounds of cannabis along with drug paraphernalia and psilocybin mushrooms in two apartments at 309 E. Green St., according to a police report from University Police.

Police originally found small amounts of cannabis, drug paraphernalia and psilocybin mushrooms and cocaine residue after executing a search warrant on the first apartment at around 9:30 p.m.

There were varying amounts of controlled substances and money found in the searched apartments, Detective Sgt. Joe McCullough said.

During the investigation, police received a tip that the suspects moved the drugs from the apartment to another after they had been informed of the warrant, according to the report. Two hours later, police obtained a warrant for that apartment where they discovered the 21 pounds of cannabis among other illegal drugs.

The 21 pounds of cannabis were handed over voluntarily to University Police, McCullough said.

The suspects were also arrested additional charges along with the charge of calculated criminal cannabis conspiracy.

The suspects are:

— Tristen Cowart, 28, was arrested on the charges of possession of a controlled substance, manufacture/delivery of cannabis and an outstanding warrant for public possession of liquor.

— Matthew Divittorio, 19, was arrested on the charges of manufacture/delivery of cannabis and cannabis possession.

— Steven Funes, 20, was arrested on the charges of cannabis trafficking and manufacture/delivery of cannabis.

Hali Balint, 25, was also arrested at around 3:30 a.m. Friday on the charges of obstructing justice after telling the suspects about the search warrant. Charges were not filed against Balint, according to the Champaign County Circuit Clerk’s website.