Two arrested in Champaign armed robberies

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Two men were arrested Sunday in connection with two armed robberies on the 600 block of White Street in Urbana.

The first robbery was reported at around 6:15 p.m. Sunday after police received a tip that a man and a woman were robbed at gunpoint by two men, according a press release from the Champaign Police Department. 

Derek D. Cox, 20, and a juvenile were arrested for the first robbery. Cox was later taken to Champaign County jail.

The victims were walking into the courtyard of the apartment building and had their cell phones and a backpack with a laptop inside stolen.

The suspects were seen leaving the scene in a Lincoln Town Car. A short time later a University Police Department officer and Champaign Police officers located the Lincoln Town Car. All five of the vehicle’s occupants, including the armed robbery suspects, were detained. A search of the vehicle uncovered a loaded revolver and the stolen property.

Champaign police officers received another report of a second robbery attempt also in the 600 block of East White Street at around 6:30 p.m. the same day, according to the press release. Police determined that both suspects, who were arrested for the first robbery, were also identified as the suspects in the second robbery.

The victim told police that his wallet was not stolen because there was no cash inside.

Both suspects were arrested on the charges of two counts of armed robbery.