Local game development company to renovate space, expand workforce

By Angelica Lavito

Deep Silver Volition, a video game development company in Champaign, will create approximately 100 new jobs once renovations of its office space is complete.

The company plans to expand its workforce and redesign its office in the One Main development space. The Champaign City Council directed city staff to negotiate an agreement with Deep Silver Volition that will provide incentives for expansion.

“We’re a destination. A lot of companies are stepping stones … we’re a destination. People come here to live here,” Dan Cermak, general manager of Deep Silver Volition, said.

Champaign will pay Deep Silver Volition $3 per-square-foot built, as well as $1,000 for each new employee hired. The city will also revise its bulk parking lease program to allow the company to lease 100 parking spots for its future employees.

The city’s tax increment financing fund, property tax dollars used for development, will provide funding for the incentives.

“We think this is a valid use of TIF dollars, an eligible use, and it’s consistent with the downtown plan and original redevelopment plan,” said Bruce Knight, Champaign planning and development director.

The University’s study about expanding technology clusters was cited as a reason to offer Deep Silver Volition the incentives. The study encouraged the community to grow its technology-based jobs to attract other technology companies and employees to Champaign-Urbana. 

Champaign residents and business owners spoke of Deep Silver Volition’s positive impact on downtown and neighboring businesses’ economic success. 

“You want to have people working downtown because they come and drink coffee, buy a Danish, go shopping, maybe buy a hat, then grab a beer after work,” said Mayor Don Gerard.

Deep Silver Volition opened its downtown Champaign location in 2004. The incentives will allow the company to renovate its office space and create room for new employees. 

The City Council will formally vote on the incentives at a regular meeting in May.

Angelica can be reached at [email protected].