Public safety advisory issued after robbery

A public safety advisory was issued after a robbery occurred at around 10 p.m. Thursday in the 100 block of West Main Street in Urbana.

According to the advisory, the victim was walking on the sidewalk when seven to 10 males got out of a van and started throwing rocks at him.

When the victim tried to leave the offenders approached the victim, battered him and stole his property.

The offenders got back in the van and drove east down Harvey Street in the alley between Clark and Main streets.

All the offenders were described as black males of small stature, possibly of high school age, and left the scene in a newer, light blue Dodge or Chrysler mini-van, according to the report.

There is believed to be some damage on the back of the mini-van on the drivers side because the van backed over the curb and into a pole as it was leaving. This may have also damaged the rear wheels.

The advisory encouraged the campus community to stay alert, trust their instincts, not to walk home alone at night, turn down electronic devices and to drink moderately if one chooses to drink.

Those with information about the event or witnesses are encouraged to contact the Urbana Police Department at 217-384-2329 or Crime Stoppers at 217-373-8477.