Multiple incidents of arson reported locally

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated to reflect progress in a police investigation. 

Following a series of arsons that occurred July 3, University police took two juveniles into custody Friday based on that investigation.

University police developed two persons of interest in the case from security camera video at the Undergraduate Library. On Friday, a University police officer made contact with two juveniles near the Illini Union whom he recognized from the video footage. One juvenile admitted starting all three fires and both were taken into custody.  

University police reported an incident of arson Thursday in the tunnel between the Undergraduate Library and the Main Library followed by two other incidents in Champaign between 4:10 and 7:30 p.m.

At approximately 4:10 p.m., police report that a trash can was set on fire in the tunnel between the two libraries. 

Following that, at about 4:50 p.m., a UPS drop box was set on fire in the 600 block of East Green Street in Champaign. 

At approximately 7:30 p.m., trash next to a house in the 400 block of South Sixth Street, Champaign, was also set on fire. 

No suspect information was available at the time of the report but two suspects have been apprehended.  Witnesses to any of the incidents of arson and anyone with pertaining information are encouraged to contact the Champaign Police Department at (217)351-4545 or Crime Stoppers at (217)373-TIPS.