Greek Reunion to hit campus this weekend

“It’s time for all Greeks to return to Champaign for GREEK REUNION,” reads the bio on the Red Lion Greek Reunion weekend Facebook event page, beckoning Greeks to return to campus for the celebration.

The traditional summer event Greek Reunion will return to campus Friday through Saturday with the goal of reuniting the Greek community after weeks of separation. Various activities will be held around campus to celebrate the event.

The most common places for Greeks to congregate during Greek Reunion will be campus bars. Due to this, many of the bars will be hosting specials and entertainment for the weekend.

According to the Red Lion Greek Reunion weekend Facebook page, Red Lion will be starting off Greek Reunion weekend on Friday at 5 p.m. with special guest DJs Habib Beats and Krucial.

Red Lion will also be opening at 11 a.m. Saturday, hosting their fourth annual Greek Reunion outside party. Red Lion will have a dual water slide from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m., and will host DJs such as Statut3 and Casual DJs.

Joe’s will also be hosting Chicago-based DJs Win and Woo, Papercha$er and New York headliners The Disco Fries on Friday starting at 7 p.m. according to their website.

In case the bars are too flooded, The Canopy Club is holding a Greek Reunion Weekend Summer Bae Bash on Saturday night at 8 p.m. The event costs $5 at the door and features Krucial with Jonny Navarro, Airia, Bear Tooth, Sketch and University alumni Kyral x Banko.

Although Greek Reunion has yet to begin, University students are already talking about this weekends festivities.

“Greek reunion weekend! Time to get hammered and hopefully say hi to a girl,” said one anonymous Yik Yak user.

“The Greeks will do more damage to Green St in 3 days than any construction workers could do all summer,” said another anonymous Yik Yak user.

Although Greek Reunion may be seen as a troublesome “holiday” to some, University police are not worried about the weekend-long event.

“It used to be a larger event where we would have to block of streets and parking lots. It was a lot more work back in the day,” said University Police Department Capt. Roy Acree. “Now we just compare it to a regular Friday or Saturday night when school is in session. There will just be more people on campus than there normally are during the summer.”

Acree said the same amount of University, Champaign and Urbana officers will be working compared to any other weekend.

“We are used to dealing with more people,” Acree said. “We will be able to handle any type of situation that we usually have on these type of weekends.”

Christine can be reached at [email protected].