From majoring in history to making history

By Destiny Murray

At one time or another we have all viewed or uploaded personal video footage to YouTube. But this weekend, students got the chance to speak directly to the co-founder and alumna of the social media giant about her path to success.

Christina Brodbeck spoke at the Department of History’s Career night this weekend about her path to success in creating YouTube.

Diane Koenker, Chair of the Department of History arranged for four other alumni panelists to speak to students about how they got to the respected profession they have today. Panelists included: J. Steven Beckett, professor of law at the University; Matthew Filter, public policy consultant; and Jennifer Sullivan, attorney.

Koenker acknowledged the versatility of having a degree in history, stating, “history students needed some real life examples of people who are successful with a history degree in real life jobs.”

“There’s kind of a misconception among history majors and their parents that the only thing you can do with a history degree is teach,” she said. “A in fact a history major goes into all kinds of occupation because their training prepares them for anything when you need to think and analyze.”

After the panelists spoke in regards to their journey post-undergrad, they allowed students to ask questions.

Brodbeck went on to say that “it’s a matter of finding what your passion is and being confident about it and don’t be afraid to take risks”.

When all is said and done, Brodbeck credits her experience at Illinois for her current success.

“I really do think that my U of I education was very instrumental for where I am today, both in terms of the network of people I met and in terms of the education,” Brodbeck said.

Steven Zhang, sophomore in LAS, said the career night helped him think about his future plans after graduation.

“I shouldn’t limit myself to just focusing on history to just be open to new paths or ideas that might come to me because I might change my views over time about what I want to do,” he said.

Destiny can be reached at [email protected].

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that Christina Brodbeck was one of the co-founders of YouTube. Brodbeck was a member of YouTube’s founding team. The Daily Illini regrets this error.