Willard Airport receives funding for infrastructure

The Federal Aviation Administration recently granted $437,532 to the University of Illinois Willard Airport for improvements to the airport’s infrastructure over the next five years.

The project will focus on widening the taxiway from 50 feet to 75 feet, squaring off the end of the taxiway from a 45-degree angle to a 90-degree angle and installing runway lights and markings.

Steve Wanzek, Willard airport manager, said these changes will increase safety and allow for larger aircrafts to use the taxiway.

“It will make it, not that the airport is not safe, but it’s safer to do this new configuration,” Wanzek said. “We get charters that want to fly in to sponsor our sports teams. We’ve had symphonies come in. Private companies come in to charter our programs. It was difficult for them, even though the company could accommodate a larger aircraft, the airway couldn’t.”

According to Wanzek, the airport generally receives $1.2 to $1.3 million in entitlement dollars from the FAA; however, that amount was insufficient for this project. In order to have enough, the airport applied for additional funds through discretionary dollars, which may be granted by the FAA.

Willard Airport applied for the funds with a master plan looking ahead five years said Elizabeth Cory, FAA spokeswoman. The plan involves ensuring safety and efficiency to the airport’s infrastructure.

“Congress appropriates the moneys to keep up the infrastructure in the air transportation system. This is something the airport applies for and is granted after we’ve reviewed the plans,” Cory said. “In this situation, we found that they can enhance safety at the airport by realigning and widening a taxiway and installing runway lights and runway markings. They’re designed to improve safety at the airport.”

Wanzek said having a safer and more efficient airport will prove to be very beneficial to the community, because it will make room for new airlines and further improvement in the services Willard has to offer. 

“Having a vibrant airport is very important for a community — the business community and the University itself. Everybody appreciates the economic impact that having an airport in the community has,” Wanzek said. “This is a commitment on the airport’s part to the community as well as to the airlines so they are more serious about maintaining the airport and keeping it in good shape and making improvements that will last for 20 years.”

Fatima can be reached at [email protected].