On top of the world with Aaron Carter

Aaron Carter performs at the Canopy Club in Urbana on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013.

Childhood sensation Aaron Carter will grace the stage once again at The Canopy Club on Wednesday. As part of the “Wonderful World Tour,” Carter will perform with Upside starting at 7 p.m.

Carter will also be visiting the Alpha Epsilon Phi chapter house during his campus visit, said Lauren Pliskin, chapter president and junior in LAS. The sorority won a contest after buying the highest amount of tickets compared to other chapters on campus.

The Daily Illini talked with Aaron Carter to hear about his return to campus and the music industry.

The Daily Illini: Could you provide us a little anecdote on how you got started in the music industry?

Aaron Carter: I got started in the industry because of my mom. She discovered my brother, got him started with the Backstreet Boys and then I was opening up for them. That night, I got signed. I was seven years old. I was a little baby.

DI: You performed as a little kid, so what’s the difference performing now from when you were seven?

AC: Getting older, I guess I’m more engaged. I have more to say, and I get to do more of the things that I want to do. People aren’t telling me what to do, which has its repercussions. Becoming an adult definitely teaches you a lot, and I’ve experienced the good and the bad, but that’s what comes with growing older and being allowed to make your own decisions.

DI: You talk about the repercussions of being in the music industry. Starting at such a young age and then continuing in the music industry, what effect do you believe the industry has had on you?

AC: It’d be impossible for the industry to not have some sort of effect, and obviously I’ve had my downfalls, but I don’t really want to talk about that right now. I’m making my comeback and doing what I love doing. That part of my life is gone, and I’m moving on.

DI: You are still performing and touring even as the years go on. How are you able to maintain relevance?

AC: I don’t know, I think just wanting to continue making music shows my love for it and keeps me out there.

DI: Has the fame changed from when you were a kid to now, or has your reaction to the fame changed?

AC: You know, getting back out there is hard. I have a connection with my fans though, and I want to show them that I care and continue having an impact on them. I’ve definitely changed some lives and others have changed mine, so I want people to know that I still care about those things.

DI: Was it different performing as a child than it is now performing as an adult?

AC: I didn’t really go straight from child star to adult. I opened up for the Backstreet Boys at seven, and I released an album at nine, and then at 15 and at 17. I was in the Broadway performance of “Suessical” at 15, and I did “Dancing With the Stars” at 21. My family had their reality show, but we didn’t want to be like the Kardashians and lay our entire life out for people. I want to maintain my integrity. I’m not in it for the money. Obviously, I started performing when I was seven, and I had no clue that it’d make me money nor did I have a desire for the money. So obviously that’s not why I’m here. I love doing what I do, so I can’t really say much has changed.

DI: You’re going on tour currently — what can your fans expect to see in the future?

AC: We have so many shows set up for the tour. I just want to bring it all back for the fans. You can definitely expect some new songs that we’re working on now. I don’t expect it to be easy. I expect it to be hard. I’m making a comeback, and that’s a challenge, but I’m always up for a challenge. I’m not afraid of it, I’m excited. This has been my whole life.

Rachel can be reached at [email protected].