Rauner taps Chancellor Wise, Trustee Ed McMillian for transition committee

By Josh Winters

Governor-elect Bruce Rauner tapped University Chancellor Phyllis Wise and Trustee Ed McMillan to be part of his transition committee on Thursday.

“I am excited and honored that the University of Illinois will be among the voices representing higher education and helping the new governor to ensure our state remains a national and global leader,” Wise said in an emailed statement. “I look forward to joining the other members of this transition effort and to the work we will do.”

The transition committee is comprised of business, faith, community and political leaders who will help the new governor acclimate to his new office by identifying problems that Illinois is facing and working to devise solutions to these problems.

McMillan also expressed enthusiasm for his appointment, and said that he plans to be an advocate of the University of Illinois. He said he also hopes to see increased state funding for higher education.

“It’s a real honor to be asked to be a part of a transition team for any elected official, but I’m particularly honored to be on governor-elect Rauner’s team,” McMillan said.

He added that he will push for new programs to improve Illinois’ agriculture industry.

Rauner said he prioritizes an increase in education funding using tax revenue, but does not support raising taxes to do so.

Josh can be reached at [email protected].