Friends arrested for Lundgren incident plead guilty

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Two teens arrested in September for locking their drunk friend in a dorm room have pled guilty to a reckless conduct charge on Oct. 31.

University student Ali Issa, 19, and his friend Ieva Simulyte, 18, pled guilty to reckless conduct. Issa also pled guilty to aggravated assault, according to the Champaign County Clerk’s office.

Both were sentenced to one year court supervision, community service and were given a fine.

Issa was given 100 hours of community service and Simulyte was given 50, according to the Champaign County Clerks office. 

The charges stem from an incident in September when the pair locked their drunk 18-year-old male friend in a dorm room.

During the incident Issa was combative with a member of residence hall staff as he and Simulyte helped their friend to a dorm room.

They locked the friend in the room and left. Several hours later, the door was unlocked. The friend had been vomiting and was later hospitalized.

Under the one year court supervision, they must pay their fines, complete their community service and must not have any other legal troubles. If completed, they will have no record of conviction, according to the Champaign County Clerk’s Office.

Miranda Holloway contributed to this report.