Killeen named 20th University of Illinois president

Incumbent University President Robert Easter shares a laugh with President-elect Timothy Killeen during a press conference to introduce Killeen at the Illini Union on Wednesday.

Timothy Killeen was named the 20th president of the University of Illinois on Wednesday morning, and he is dedicating his presidency to the students. 

Killeen is the vice chancellor for research and president of the Research Foundation of the State University of New York, a network of 64 state-wide colleges, universities and community colleges.

The Wales native and U.S. citizen has had more than 30 years of experience in higher education, serving roles in administration and as a researcher in geophysics and space sciences at the University of Michigan. Killeen earned his Ph.D. from University College London at age 23 and has received three achievement awards from NASA.

“I am a genetic optimist, which is not a scientific term,” Killeen said. “I have one gear, and that’s moving forward with optimism.” 

He said he believes the current viewpoint on higher education is “hunkered down,” and it needs to be more optimistic. 

He served as an administrator of the National Science Foundation, which provides nearly a quarter of federal research funding for U.S. colleges and universities. His familiarity with the competition involved in receiving funding will help the research-based University, Chancellor Phyllis Wise said. 

Killeen, 62, will replace current President Robert Easter, effective July 1, 2015, unless otherwise designated by the Board of Trustees. 

On learning from Easter, Killeen said he has big shoes to fill and plans to go on a “learning and listening” tour in January. 

“He and I are going to work together. We’re going to overlap and be partners,” Killeen said. “As he thinks about moving to retirement, he thinks he can get away, but I think we’re going to be connected.” 

Killeen said he wants to ask others what they want out of the University, as well as how diversity can be promoted.

Board of Trustees Chairman Christopher Kennedy, accompanied by other University officials, introduced the new president at Chicago’s campus around 8:30 a.m. They traveled to the Urbana campus and held a press conference at 3 p.m. in the south lounge of the Illini Union.

As president, Killeen will make an annual base salary of $600,000. With potential performance and retention bonuses, he could make up to $730,000 per year. His compensation is ranked seventh out of all Big Ten presidents. 

After a nearly eight-month search, Killeen was unanimously selected by the board based on recommendations from the presidential search committee, which was formed in late April 2014. The committee began with 200 candidates, which was narrowed to 25 over several months. The board interviewed three finalists selected by the committee on Nov. 11. 

“One of the great things about Tim Killeen is his global mission to empower and educate the people of the state but to also serve the industries that are a part of that state’s economy,” Kennedy said.

He said Killeen’s strong support of the school’s land-grant history is much different from the traditional “elitist” education of East Coast schools. 

After spending several months poring over candidates, Nick Burbules, member of the search committee and professor of educational policy, said he is thrilled with the selection.

“I think that this is not just looking for the new president but also a change in understanding of the presidency itself,” he said. “I think that as an advocate and the public face of the University, he has the perfect combination of experience.”

The University president is the chief executive officer of the University, as well as the executive agent of the Board of Trustees. Killeen will work with the board to establish general University goals and practices.

Additional responsibilities include ensuring continued economic support for the University and representing the University to the state government, the public, corporate and civic leaders, alumni and donors.

“State funding is one problem — investment support, research, grant funding — there are many pieces which contribute to this problem,” Killeen said. “And I think what I would like to do is to really indulge the exciting value proposition of what the University of Illinois is to the state, for the state and for the population.”

Although he has yet to speak with Governor-elect Bruce Rauner or other state leaders about his new position, Killeen said he is looking forward to having those conversations as soon as he can. 

Kennedy said all of the state leaders he has spoken to about Killeen have been receptive.

Killeen said his goals for the University center around student diversity, affordability, economic revitalization and faculty recruitment.

“I’ve made a lifelong career commitment to excellence and service in the public good, which really fits well in the Illinois narrative,” Killeen said. “When I look back, I see that I’ve been circling Illinois all these years. This feels to me like the right end-capstone to my career, so I’m going to give it everything I have.”

Abigale can be reached at [email protected].