Tuition Policy Advisory Committee recommends increase in tuition

By Charlotte Collins

The Tuition Policy Advisory Committee recommended an increase in tuition for the 2015 to 2016 year school year, Student Body President Mitch Dickey announced during the Illinois Student Senate’s Wednesday meeting. 

The committee met several times throughout the semester to discuss possible upcoming changes in tuition. The increase is recommended due to “tremendous decreases in state support since 2002,” a letter to Provost Ilesanmi Adesida said. 

The committee also recommended the University create Student Budget Oversight committees for each college. Students would review colleges they are not a part of and other divisions, such as the University’s library. 

Additionally, the student senate proposed a student to serve on the UI Foundation Board. 

Treasurer Scott Grubczak explained an updated report from the Student Fee Advisory Committee’s recommendations for various bodies on campus that charge fees per student to fund its programs.

Housing requested a 4 percent increase, but the committee recommended a 1.5 percent increase for dead obligations and any infrastructure they had in the works. 

The Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Relations asked for a $1.48 increase fee per student but the committee recommended a 78 cent increase for the spring semester only. 

SFAC’s recommendations will go on to be reviewed by the Board of Trustees, who must approve any fee change recommendations in order for them to go into effect.

The Sustainability Council met at the beginning of this week to discuss the iCAP plans the University has to reduce its emissions. There was discussion on possibly purchasing wind power credits, and there will be a meeting in the spring for further discussion.

Dickey sat at the Revolving Loan Fund committee earlier this week and gave an overview of the meeting to the senate this week. Loans that were approved include lighting upgrades for higher efficiency/LED bulbs, an HVAC controller upgrade in the Illini Union, which would have a four-year payback period, retro commissions, which plan to retrofit the campus buildings with the most efficient lightbulbs and aim to introduce different methods to control airflow from outside. The retrofit plans estimate savings to average 28 percent at energy cost in different buildings. A biomass boiler was proposed but tabled for the time being.

The student senate will film its final It’s On Us PSA. The first two PSAs featured University athletes and leaders of Greek life on campus. The final PSA will feature the Chancellor Phyllis Wise. It is the last in a series of three videos to promote the national campaign for community responsibility regarding sexual assault.

Over winter break, the student senate will travel to the Association of Big Ten Students conference. A resolution was approved to allocate $112 to cover extra registration fees and hotel charges. Additionally, $1,000 was allocated for office supplies, including ink. It was the second time this semester a resolution allocating money for office supplies was adopted by the senate.

Charlotte can be reached at [email protected]