UIPD arrest man for possession of firearm

By Jason Chun and Camille Murray

University police arrested Cirron G.Z. Clark, a 20-year-old, for the unlawful possession of a firearm early Saturday morning during a routine traffic stop. 

Shortly after midnight, University police officers pulled over a vehicle with a broken taillight near the intersection of Goodwin Avenue and Nevada Street. Upon approaching the vehicle, the officers detected a distinct odor of cannabis coming from the vehicle.

The officers proceeded to remove the three subjects from the vehicle to complete a search. During the search, the officers discovered two open bottles of alcohol and a loaded handgun underneath the front passenger seat.

Police determined that Clark, the back-seat passenger, would have been the only one able to access the spot where the handgun was located.

Clark was also issued a no-trespassing notice for University property. The extent of Clark’s punishment will depend on whether or not he has any prior convictions.

“If the weapon was not found to be stolen or anything like that … I would say [it’s a] class A misdemeanor, I believe,” Deputy Chief of Police Skip Frost said. “But if he has prior convictions for that, then it would be a felony.” 

The other two men in the vehicle were released on the scene and are not facing charges at this time. However, they could still be charged as the investigation continues.

“If the continuing investigations show that they had any knowledge (of the handgun), the state’s attorney office would have the ability to file charges down the road,” Frost said.

The driver was issued a warning for the broken taillight and for not having a rear registration light.

Jason and Camille can be reached at news

@dailyillini.com.