Urbana City Council approves Taser purchase for Urbana Police

The Urbana City Council approved the purchase of six Tasers by the Urbana Police Department and oversight by the Civilian Police Review Board in an 8-1 vote Monday night.

Tasers have been widely debated in Urbana since April 2014, and after much discussion, the city council decided to approve the purchase.

Alderman Aaron Ammons, Ward 3, voiced his concern prior to voting, and tried to convince the other council members to defer the decision.

“What I have been trying to do for the past couple of days is to get this council to stop for a minute and do what it promised, to have some town hall meetings, to have a discussion with the public and with the citizens who have come in here tonight,” Ammons said.

Despite Ammons’ motion to defer the decision, the council members decided to vote for the purchase. Alderman Diane Marlin, Ward 7, said she was ready to vote on the Tasers because they are a necessary tool for the police department.

She said the Tasers are not lethal, and there will be public oversight over their use.

“I wish some meetings had been scheduled earlier in this process and in the past year,” Marlin said. “I think The Tasers are a tool that will allow us to have a decreased risk of injury to the public and the police officers.”

Fatima can be reached at [email protected].