iLoveMakonnen going up on a Sunday

iLoveMakonnen will be performing at Foellinger Auditorium on Sunday at 8 p.m.

By Taylor Hoffman

Foellinger Auditorium will be “going up,” and it won’t even be on a Tuesday. Star Course will bring iLoveMakonnen to campus on Sunday to perform one of his hit songs “Tuesday” at 8 p.m. with doors opening at 7 p.m. Other performers include fellow hip-hop artists, Frank Leone and mikeyDUBS.“We supply a wide range of acts like alternative shows and indie shows, so we’re really reaching outside of our comfort zone and branching out to our audience who listen to hip-hop,” said Ryan Marohn, senior manager at Star Course and senior in LAS.

Star Course, a registered student organization that has been on campus for 123 years, aims to bring entertainment to students on campus. From concerts to comedy acts, Star Course offers events for students throughout the school year,

Makonnen Sheran, 25, otherwise known as iLoveMakonnen, is an entertainer on the rise with recent performances on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.”

iLoveMakonnen’s music has won the fandom of many in a short period of time. He signed with Drake’s label, October’s Very Own Sound, in partnership with Warner Bros Records last year.

Bringing a unique style to radio and the hip-hop scene, iLoveMakonnen both raps and sings in his music.

Including the fall semester, Star Course has brought singers like Sky Ferreira, Hoodie Allen and Mac DeMarco to campus. Sunday’s hip-hop performances will welcome a new genre of music to campus.

“Students who don’t have exposure to hip-hop will probably benefit from this concert, because it’s just something new,” said Roxana Cejeda, freshman in DGS.

After seeing the event on Facebook, Cejeda said she decided to buy tickets for the concert, especially because of how accessible the concert is.

“You (typically) have to go to the city just to see artists like that,” Cejeda said.

In the past, Star Course has brought artists like Lil’ Wayne and Lupe Fiasco to campus. Marohn explained that it is easier to get artists to perform on campus when they are at the start of their career.

“We try to get them while they’re young and upcoming,” Marohn said.

Given that there are few hip-hop concerts on campus, some hip-hop music lovers feel compelled to attend the event on Sunday.

“I saw a poster at PAR promoting the event, and I’m excited to see a musician that I listen to (iLoveMakonnen) come to campus,” said Belen Uriostegui, freshman in Social Work.

Star Course’s management said they expect to see a great turnout for the performance because it is something for students to do before spring break.

“I’m excited to go just because I think it’s awesome when organizations can get artists here to entertain the students on campus,” said Kennencia Parrish, freshman in ACES. “It would be boring if things like this didn’t happen every once in awhile, so I plan on taking advantage of it.”

According to Marohn, Star Course prides itself on branching out and bringing a wide variety of music genres to campus.

“Our success comes from going where the crowd tells us to go,” Marohn said.