Select dorms to be gender-inclusive for fall 2015

By Jane Lee

Sarah Mowitz, president of Women of Pride, said gender-inclusiveness allows for gender fluidity and gender exploration, making people feel accepted and comfortable with their own gender.

To honor its mission statement to be inclusive and value each student’s voice, opinion and identity, University Housing recently proposed a housing plan to implement gender-inclusive restrooms and floors for select residence halls starting fall 2015.

Allen 1 North, one wing of the first floor of Allen Hall and the first floor of Saunders Hall, located in Pennsylvania Avenue Residence hall, will incorporate gender-inclusive restrooms and floors, said Kirsten Ruby, associate director of housing for communications and marketing.

“We conducted focus groups, surveys, hall meetings and we had a lot of feedback from students that they liked Allen Hall becoming the pioneer for this type of community and so we’re trying it out on one wing on the first floor,” Ruby said.

Mowitz, senior in FAA, said the new plan is part of the queer movement on campus, which attempts to address issues transgender students face by including gender-neutral bathrooms and residence halls.

She also said she understands why students may be uncomfortable with gender-neutrality, but it is important for students to know what it means to be gender neutral and this gender-inclusive plan will be a form of education.

“I think to be pro gender-neutral living is to — usually — have kind of a comprehensive understanding of (being transgender) and to truly understand what it means to be a student that lives outside the gender binary,” Mowitz said.

Ruby said the wings will also have gender-inclusive rest rooms for students who identify as male, female or the non-binary gender. The rest rooms will not be identified as “men” or “women” and students of all genders will be able to use the rest room, including showers, at the same time.

However, the bathrooms in Saunders will not have multiple shower stalls, but instead have multiple single-use bathrooms on each floor, Additionally, the floor will be coed by door, which means men and women will be next door to each other.

To allow for privacy, Ruby said the multiple-use bathrooms in Allen 1 North will have taller toilet and shower stalls to prevent anyone from looking over the top. She said there is little cost in different privacy installments.

Mowitz said this plan is just one of the first steps in allowing for more gender-inclusivity in University residence halls. She said in the future, she hopes entire residence halls will be more gender inclusive, but in the meantime, she is happy.

“I think it’s really great. I think it’s something that is very, very necessary and I think it’s the next step in (resident) life,” Mowitz said. “Honestly, I think it’s coming at a very good time so I’m very happy about it.”

Isha Robertson, Illinois Street Residence Hall resident and sophomore in ACES, said she might not be comfortable living in a gender inclusive dorm.

“If it was me, I don’t know if I would be comfortable with it,” Robertson said. “You don’t want to end up with that one person who would take advantage of the situation.”

Ruby said students will not be assigned to the gender-inclusive community if it is not their choice. She said all students have the opportunity to select the community they want to live in, and information about the gender-inclusive restroom option is clearly described on the housing site.