Body of missing student found

Body of missing student found

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The body of missing University student William Hempy was found in a body of water on the northeast side of Rochester, Minnesota, at approximately 7 p.m. Sunday.

According to Sgt. Kirby Long of the Olmsted County Sheriff’s Office in Rochester, a group of people fishing discovered Hempy’s body floating in a quarry in the 4600 block of East River Road NE.

The body was transported to the Southern Minnesota Regional Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy. The results of the autopsy are still pending, but authorities said no foul play is suspected and that “from prior experience (the autopsy is) going to take about two months” to yield results on the details of Hempy’s death.

Hempy was first reported missing by his family from their Rochester home on March 26. Family members last saw him on March 25 around 5 p.m. when he said he was going out for a run.

Hempy was a senior studying computer science. He was visiting home for spring break and was set to return to campus the following day.

In a previous interview, Patrick Wade, University of Illinois Police Department spokesman, said the police department was not actively investigating the case, but helped the Rochester Police Department as much as possible.