Community members and Champaign police discuss the future

For the first time in ten years Champaign community members joined the Champaign Police Department Monday to discuss ways to make the community safer and the department better.

Champaign Chief of Police Anthony Cobb said it has been nearly a decade since the department held a community discussion about the it’s strategic plan.

Cobb said the department wants to hear suggestions and concerns from community members while being open with them about the police department’s goals.

“We want to be thoughtful and transparent with our citizens,” Cobb said.

Michael Williams, Champaign resident and Urbana School District employee, asked Cobb if the police department trains officers on how to handle traffic stops.

Williams said he was pulled over in February, but when Williams asked the officer why he was pulled over, he said the officer would not give him an answer.

“I (didn’t) feel like a white person,” Williams said. “I feel that I’ve seen all this news, all these black guys that have gotten killed. So I’m already nervous anyway.”

After the meeting, police officers spoke with Williams and said they will address the issue within the department so other citizens do not have the same experience.

Deputy Chief Troy Daniels brought up the department’s thoughts on police officers’ use of tasers. Daniels said along with other members of Champaign Police, they believe they should be allowed to use tasers when appropriate, such as for safety. Daniels said the amount of officer injuries can be reduced with tasers.

Police officers also introduced a new initiative to create more diversity within the police department. Daniels said in the next three to five years, there will be about 31 individuals who will be reaching retirement age so the department’s goal is to increase diversity as it hires new officers.

“It is good business to to have a department that’s reflective of our community,” Daniels said.

Cobb said there are eight African-American officers in the department, so the department is making a conscious effort to be more diverse in whom it recruits and appoints.

“We’re looking for Latinos. We’re looking for Asians. We’re looking for females. We’re looking for it, you name it,” Cobb said.

Champaign City Council alderman Vic McIntosh, District 3, said he came to the meeting because it’s important for the police department to interact directly with the citizens.

“We represent the citizens here, and we’re kind of watchful of the police department,” McIntosh said. “So I think working together is very important for council members to be out in their districts to see what goes on.”