Moore named new UIF president

By Jason Chun

James H. Moore Jr. was named the new president and chief executive officer of the University of Illinois Foundation on Monday.

The foundation, established in 1935, is dedicated to securing and administering private gifts for the University and its three campuses.

Moore, the current president and CEO of the University of Arizona Foundation, will succeed Edward F. Ewald, who has been acting as the interim president and CEO of the foundation since October 2014.

“It is an honor to be joining the University of Illinois family,” Moore said in a press release. “I am looking forward to supporting President (Robert) Easter and President-designate (Timothy) Killeen and the three chancellors at a time when private support and an engaged donor community has never been more important.”

Gov. Bruce Rauner proposed to cut $209 million of state appropriations to the University for fiscal year 2016.

Chad Ruback, vice president of marketing and donor relations of the foundation, said they have been searching for a new president and CEO since September 2014. Rubak said Moore was chosen due to his status as a highly-respected leader and his successful track record at the University of Arizona.

“He’s got a great track record of success both professionally, but also in thought leadership,” Rubak said.

Alan Feldman, a UIF board member who chaired the search committee, stressed Moore’s leadership as a deciding factor in his hiring.

As the new president and CEO, Moore will be the University’s chief development officer and will provide oversight and support to the UIF’s fundraising operation, which brings in an average of more than $300 million in new gifts and pledges each year. He will also assist the University in managing a combined endowment of more than $2 billion.

Prior to his time at the University of Arizona, Moore served as the president and CEO of the University of Northern Colorado Foundation. He also held senior-level positions at Iowa State University, the University of Arizona and Northwest Missouri State University.

Feldman said Moore has a natural leadership presence and quickly distinguished himself during the search process.

“He’s clearly an industry expert, and we feel he will partner well with our University’s leadership to reach their goals for the academy,” Feldman said.