Texas clock-maker Ahmed Mohamed moving with his family to Qatar

http://mctdirect.com/preview.php?id=201509161411MCT_____PHOTO____US_NEWS_TEXAS-CLOCK_1_DABy Avi Selk

DALLAS — After finally meeting President Barack Obama on Monday night, Ahmed Mohamed and his family plan to leave the United States for the foreseeable future. Schools from across the country have made offers to Ahmed since he was arrested at MacArthur High School in Irving, Texas, last month _ his homemade clock confused with a hoax bomb, transforming him into a symbol of perceived anti-Muslim bias. But apparently it was an offer from the Middle East that most intrigued the family.

The Mohameds announced Tuesday that they have accepted a foundation’s offer to pay for the 14-year-old’s high school and college in Doha, Qatar, which Ahmed visited a few weeks ago as he began a world tour. His sister, Eyman Mohamed, said Ahmed will study at Doha Academy, while she and his other siblings find schools in the rich capital city, which hosts a huge university complex called Education City.

She spoke as the family boarded an airplane from Washington, where Ahmed concluded his world tour at the White House this week, back to their smallish house in Irving. But they’ll only be in Texas for a few days, Eyman said, before they jet off to a new life on the other side of the world.

Not that their story in the United States is done.

Before leaving Washington, Ahmed appeared with a U.S. congressman who, along with nearly 30 other members of congress, have asked the federal government to investigate whether anti-Muslim discrimination prompted Ahmed’s arrest.