Rep. Rodney Davis supports refugee background checks

By Samantha Jones Toal

Rep. Rodney Davis, R-13, voted in support of the American Security Against Foreign Enemies, SAFE, Act on Thursday. The act aims to establish background checks for Syrian and Iraqi refugees seeking admittance into the United States, according to a press release from Davis’ office.

“I hope President Obama will reconsider his threat to veto this important legislation and instead work with us to ensure Americans’ safety,” Davis said in the release.

As established in the act a refugee would need to pass multiple levels of clearance before being admitted into the U.S. First, James Comey, FBI director, would certify each refugee’s background check. Following Comey’s certification, Jeh Johnson, secretary of Homeland Security, James Clapper, National Intelligence director, and Comey would certify to Congress that the refugee seeking sanctuary is not a security threat.

“The SAFE Act allows America to continue its history of compassion toward those around the world without sacrificing our safety and security,” Davis said in the release.

Previously, Davis and other members of the Illinois Congressional Delegation sent President Barack Obama a letter urging him to suspend the admittance of Iraqi and Syrian refugees into the U.S.

Gov. Bruce Rauner also issued a statement on Nov. 16, announcing Illinois would temporarily suspend accepting new refugees following the terrorist attacks that occurred in Paris on Nov. 13.

“Our nation and our state have a shared history of providing safe haven for those displaced by conflict, but the news surrounding the Paris terror attacks reminds us of the all-too-real security threats facing America,” Rauner said in the statement.