Swan Lake returns to Krannert

By Shahzmeen Hussain

This year they will be presenting Swan Lake, Don Quixote and Cinderella on Jan. 19, 20 and 21 respectively at 7 p.m. at the Tryon Festival Theatre.

“I think every year, audiences are drawn to the majesty and precision of classical ballet,” said Bridget Lee-Calfasmp, advertising and publicity director for Krannert Center. “Russian ballet in particular is known for the wonderful turns and leaps, and the selections we are offering this season are stories quite familiar and accessible to most audiences.”

The Moscow Festival ballet was founded in 1989 by Bolshoi Ballet principal dancer Radchenkomp and has performed in productions across the world, including Spain, Italy, France, the Netherlands and Germany.

On campus, Krannert Center Student Association (KCSA) has been actively involved in bringing performances such as Swan Lake to audiences. It’s a volunteer-based organization that helps out during the performances and community members volunteer their time at the center, as well.

“We supply volunteer student ushers who greet patrons, hand out programs, assist patrons to their seats and address any questions or concerns that arise,” said Megan Vesciomp, director of marketing at KCSA.

Though Lisa Brady-Smith does not reside in Champaign-Urbana, she attended Swan Lake in 2013 at Krannert, along with residents of Clark-Lindsey Retirement Villagemp, where she was working as the Director of Nursing.

“Swan Lake was the first ballet I had ever attended and I thought it was magnificent,” Brady-Smith said.

The performance is scheduled to last a little over two hours as well as a 20-minute intermission. Tickets for University students and children eight and up are $10 and $45 for adultsmp.

“People appreciate the opportunity to see these evergreen masterpieces presented here in Champaign-Urbana by our wonderful Russian guests,” Lee-Calfas said.