Student senator proposes "tuition equality" resolution

By Samantha Jones Toal

Senator Alex Villanueva authored a resolution on tuition equality that encourages a proportional tuition increase amongst in-state, out-of-state and international students.

Villanueva, who hails from Florida, said the resolution would show international and out-of-state students they weren’t admitted to the University simply because they will provide the University with more funds.

“This resolution says, ‘We respect our future Illini that come here out-of-state or from a different nation,’” Villanueva said.

Following a short discussion student body president Mitch Dickey sent the resolution to Campus Affairs, as well as to Financial Affairs and Academic Affairs, but in an advisory capacity.

Earlier Wednesday, the University recommended the Board of Trustees not to raise in-state-tuition for students starting their University career in fall 2016. The University also suggested maintaining student fees, with the exception of an increased $4 transportation fee that was approved in a November student referendum. The board will vote on the recommendation at its meeting in Chicago on Thursday.

Golf Cart Rental Resolution Fails

In December, the student senate proposed a golf cart rental resolution that suggested the use of a golf cart on campus as a public relations tool for the student senate.

The golf cart was intended to be used with social media campaigns and was pitched as a way to help connect student senate to the students.

However, student senate treasurer Rahul Kalluri announced Wednesday that the resolution was unsuccessful because the golf cart presents a liability issue.

Kalluri said senators called the resolution, “irresponsible and unsafe.”