Sonia Sotomayor tickets sell out fast

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Tickets to attend a lecture by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor sold out within hours of becoming available Monday. Though tickets are currently sold out, those eager to attend can go to Krannert Center and be added to a waiting list.JT

The tickets, which were available by phone, through the Krannert Center website and in-person, were free but limited and are required for entry the night of the event. JT

The lecture, “A Conversation with U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor,” will be held on March 7 and hosted by the College of Law. At the event, Sotomayor will “discuss a wide range of topics” with Robin Kar, University Law professor.JT

Sotomayor will sign copies of her book, “My Beloved World,” at 8:30 p.m. following the discussion at 7 p.m.JT

Sotomayor will also be one of the judges in the Frederick Green Moot Court competition, the law school’s biggest moot court competition, on March 8. Sotomayor’s involvement with the competition was announced in July in an email to students in the College of Law.JT

The competition was named after Professor Frederick Green, who taught at the University from 1904 to 1939.JT

According to the competition’s website, four University College of Law students will be participating in the moot court competition: Elizabeth Carter, Sarah Craig, Lindsey Lusk and Kevin McKeown.JT The top competitors will be chosen to compete nationally and will be editors for the following year’s competition.

According to the Supreme Court’s website, Sotomayor was nominated as an associate justice to the Supreme Court by President Barack Obama in 2009 after serving on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit since 1998.JT

Sotomayor was born in Bronx, New York in 1954 to two Puerto Rican-born parents; her appointment to the Supreme Court earned her the distinction of being the first Hispanic Supreme Court justice and the third female justice.JT

Sotomayor earned her bachelor’s degree from Princeton in 1976 and her juris doctor from Yale in 1979.JT

Also serving on the panel will be Ann Williams of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and Jill Pryor of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.JT