News Briefs

By Daily Illini Staff Report

UI faculty member appointed to Illinois State Museum Board

Gov. Bruce Rauner announced the appointment of Brian Anderson to the Illinois State Museum Board in a press release issued Friday.

According to the press release, Anderson, the deputy executive director of the University’s Prairie Research Institute, has over 35 years of experience in natural resources preservation and analysis. The release stated that Anderson’s experience will bring “an important perspective to the board;” in the past, he oversaw the Illinois State Museum while working with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, IDNR.

At the Prairie Research Institute, Anderson oversees strategic planning and coordinates programs across the five Illinois scientific surveys.

Campus reminders

John Wilson, co-editor of the American Association of University Professor’s blog “Academy” will hold his last lecture on hate speech and free speech at Allen Hall onThursday.

The international Science Fiction Film Festival will be held at the Main Library, room 66, on Thursday. The festival will showcase the University’s science fiction film collection.

Pete Haviland-Eduah, the National Policy and Communications Director of the Million Hoodies Movement for Justice will speak at the University YMCA on Friday as part of the spring 2016 Friday Forum lecture series, “Breaking Down Racism, Fighting Racial Injustice In the U.S.” Haviland-Eduah will discuss what tools, campaigns and changes are necessary to combat racism and overcome barriers to equality.

Friday, March 11 is the deadline to drop full-semester undergraduate courses.