Facilites & Services announces $1.9 million in funding for utility conservation projects

Evelyn Li

Foellinger Auditorium on Friday.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The University’s Facilities & Services department announced Monday that $1.9 million will be available for projects on the Urbana campus during the spring semesterbr.

According to a press release from F&S, the money comes from the Revolving Loan Fund, RLF, which was established through the Illinois Climate Action Plan, or iCAP, in 2011br. The iCAP website states the RLF is a “financing source for utility conservation projects requested by departments with a less than 10-year payback period.”

The fund can grow through direct allocations from the chancellor, president or Student Sustainability Committee, SSC, or grant funding from programs such as the Illinois Clean Energy Community Foundationbr.

The press release encouraged units interested in utility conservation projects to submit a proposal; the RLF will begin evaluating submissions in April and will select projects in the summer.

Since its establishment, the RLF has funded more than $2 million dollars in utility conservation projects including the addition of energy-efficient lighting.