UPDATED: University to hold forum for Chancellor search

By Daily Illini Staff Report

UPDATE (3/28/16): The committee heading the search for the next chancellor of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign posted job descriptions outlining the qualifications and responsibilities that it is looking for in its candidates for both the chancellor and associate chancellor for diversity positions. The descriptions were posted on the Office of the Chancellor’s website.

According to the chancellor posting, the committee is looking for an individual who is “an accomplished scholar and an experienced academic leader who understands that research and teaching excellence, together with service and public engagement, are at the very heart of the land-grant university.” 

Some of the responsibilities outlined in the job description include managing the operating budget, overseeing public safety and campus compliance with federal and state regulations and overseeing the development, delivery and assessment of academic programs, policies and research activities. 

For the next associate chancellor for diversity, the committee’s ideal candidate will have “a track record of success” leading a variety of diversity initiatives, strong leadership skills and an understanding of how to build productive relationships with administrative leaders and faculty members. 

The committee will be holding another public forum Thursday to gain more feedback from faculty, staff and students in order to aid IL their selection. 

There will be a session open to the broader campus and community from 4 to 5:30 p.m. All forums will be held in Room 407 in the Illini Union. 

Original: (3/1/16)

Professor Antoinette Burton of the history department sent out a massmail Tuesday inviting the campus to attend a forum regarding the search for a new Chancellor and Vice President. 

In the massmail, Burton, chair of the search committee, states that the University will be holding a forum on the search for a new permanent Chancellor/Vice President on March 11 from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Illini Union Ballroom.

The forum, led by the Advisory Committee, will include an overview of the responsibilities of the position and a review of what the search process entails. A discussion will follow, allowing individuals across campus to share their thoughts.

Burton states in the massmail that the search committee is eager to hear people’s views on the “qualification and expertise” that they should be looking for as well as the “challenges and opportunities” that people believe the candidates will need to address.

The search for the candidates is being done with the assistance of the executive search firm Greenwood/Asher & Associates. The purpose of the search firm is to provide support and assistance to the committee in the process of the search.

President Tim Killeen, in addition to Jan Greenwood and Julie Holley ? two representatives from the search firm ? will be in attendance at the forumIL to answer any questions

The committee plansIL to have a search website up and running before spring break. This website will hold a description of the job, a location for nominations to be sent in and include a timeline.

There is no defined timeline nor any definite applicants at this time. A more structured approach should come in the next few weeks as the committee begins to sort things out more in-depth.

According to Burton, some of the qualities they are searching for include “outstanding records of scholarly achievement… academic leadership experience… a keen sense of the dynamic environment in which public higher education operates now.”

A link to watch the livestream of the forum will be available at http://illinois.edu.