Collin Schumock wins student trustee by 129 votes

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Early results from the campus-wide spring elections have been released with students voting in favor of the Media Fee, the Student Organization Resource Fee and the Study Abroad and Travel Scholarship Fee.

Students also elected Collin Schumock, a junior in LAS, as student trustee in a 52 to 48 percent vote over Spencer Haydary.

According to the unofficial results of the election, Schumock won by less than 130 votes.

Each of the three referendums – all of which regarded reapproving student fees – was passed with at least 76 percent of students who voted approving of the measures.

Seventy-six percent of students voted to renew the Media Fee, confirming students will continue to pay a fee each semester to fund the Illini Media Company, which operates The Daily Illini as well as WPGU 107.1 FM, Illio yearbook, the Technograph and buzz Magazine.

In addition, 76 percent of students voted in favor of confirming the Study Abroad and Travel Scholarship Fee, and 83 percent of students voted in favor of confirming the Student Organization Resource Fee.

The three student fees will be up for election in spring 2021.

Students also voted to select representatives to the Illinois Student Senate and the Student Organization Resource Fee Board.

Eleven percent of the student population voted in the elections, casting a total of 4,681 votes.