Spots still open in new Gen Ed courses

Spots are still available in the new Critical Frameworks courses that the University began offering this year.

Lily Katz

Students find that sometimes one computer just isn’t enough at Grainger Library in Urbana, IL.

By Lilly Mashayek, Staff Writer

BY LILLY MASHAYEK

STAFF WRITER

Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and Innovation Charles Tucker sent a Massmail to University students Tuesday reminding them that there are still spots available in the new 200-level Critical Frameworks courses, each of which meets at least two general education requirements.

“These courses have no prerequisites and are ideal for sophomores and above (including transfer students!),” the Massmail read. “We’ve assembled some of the best teachers from all over campus to teach these unique courses on Health, Inequality or Sustainability.”

The Critical Frameworks courses include:

GCL 210: Frameworks for Sustainability, Energy & the Environment

GCL 220: Frameworks for Building Healthy Communities

Both satisfy the Humanities & the Arts/Cultural Studies gen eds.

GCL: 200/201: Frameworks for Inequality & Cultural Understanding

satisfies the Humanities & the Arts/U.S. Minority Cultures gen ed requirements and qualifies as an Advanced Composition course.

These courses meet twice a week: first for a lecture with all students and faculty, and then in small seminars.

“Through this innovative structure, you’ll benefit from the expertise of several faculty while working closely with your professor and a network of peers,” the email read.

Students who are interested in enrolling in one of the frameworks courses can find more information on Course Explorer, the Critical Frameworks website or by talking to their advisors. Professor Lauren Goodlad can also be reached at [email protected] to learn more about the courses.