CRCE pool closed indefinitely due to mechanical failure

They’re waiting on a piece that’s crucial to the pool’s operation.

Ryan Fang

CRCE pool is closed for construction on Monday Aug 22, 2016.

By Joseph Longo, Assistant News Editor

A mechanical failure closed the Campus Recreation Center East (CRCE) pool indefinitely.

Operations at Campus Recreation noticed a failure within the pool’s filtration system, said Terry Elmore, associate director of operations.

He noted that fixing the filtration system will require several steps.  CRCE is waiting on the appropriate pieces to come in from the manufacturer before it can begin the next step.

“The manufacturer will send somebody to install them. We’ll get them up and running and see if everything matches up and then we’ll be operating,” Elmore said. “We don’t have a timeline right now, but we’re just waiting on pieces to come in from the manufacturer for the filtration system.”
CRCE does not know when it will reopen.

“It’s a waiting game; it’s a matter of whenever that piece comes in,” Elmore said. “I know they had to manufacture it themselves, so it’s not something that was sitting on the shelf.”
All group fitness aquatics programs at CRCE are cancelled until the pool is working again.

#FYI CRCE Pool will be closed for the immediate future. More information can be found on our website: campusrec.illinois.edu

A photo posted by Illinois Campus Rec (@illinoiscampusrec) on

On Instagram, Campus Recreation posted a photo of the drained pool.
“#FYI CRCE Pool will be closed for the immediate future. More information can be found on our website: campusrec.illinois.edu”

Joseph Longo