King Li selected for University College of Medicine dean

Dr.+King+Li%3B+director+of+the+Translational+Science+Institute+%28TSI%29%2C+Chair+Radiology+department.+Works+with+scientists+and+bringing+commercialization+into+key+labs.+Genomics+lab%2C+Nutrition+building+rm+319.+Photo+courtesy+Illinois+News+Bureau.+

Dr. King Li; director of the Translational Science Institute (TSI), Chair Radiology department. Works with scientists and bringing commercialization into key labs. Genomics lab, Nutrition building rm 319. Photo courtesy Illinois News Bureau.

By Megan Jones, Staff Writer

Update 10:30 a.m.:

The Carle Illinois College of Medicine has its inaugural dean.

Interim Provost Edward Feser and Carle Health System Chief Medical Officer Matthew Gibb announced Dr. King Li will hold the position as of Oct. 1 to University faculty and students in a Massmail Tuesday morning.

“Dr. Li is a renowned researcher, educator, inventor and clinisan in molecular imaging and radiology,” Feser said in the statement.

He is the current senior associate dean for clinical and translational research at Wake Forest School of Medicine as well the deputy director of the university’s comprehensive cancer center. His appointment for the Urbana campus is pending approval by the Board of Trustees at its Sept. 8 meeting.

The College of Medicine is the first college created by the University in 60 years and it will combine bioengineering and medicine together in hopes to transform the way the medical field is taught. The college expects to accept its first class of students in 2018 with 25 students.

Dr. Li possesses 16 patents, with six additional ones forthcoming, and he is also the Wells Fargo Faculty Scholar at Wake Forest.

“He is a highly regarded scholar who commands respect in his discipline and in the medical profession,” Feser said in a statement. “He is excited about engaging faculty, disciplines and colleges across the campus, as well as physician colleagues in the Carle system and beyond, to successfully lead this new college.”

He earned a medical degree from the University of Toronto and an MBA from San Jose State University.

State Sen. Chapin Rose, R-51, said he is encouraged by the selection of Dr. Li heading the new college. 

“I have been a strong supporter of the new College of Medicine in the legislature because this is about the future of community through the fusion of medicine and technology,” he said. “Not to mention that it will increase the number of good paying jobs available here in central Illinois.”