University 44th among all national universities in 2017 ranking

The+Alma+Mater+stands+at+the+corner+of+Green+and+Wright+on+Sept.+10.+

Lily Katz

The Alma Mater stands at the corner of Green and Wright on Sept. 10.

By Megan Jones, Staff Writer

U.S. News and World Report released its annual college rankings Tuesday, with the University coming in at 44th among all national universities.

The 2017 ranking is three spots lower than the 41st rank the University received in 2016. This year, it tied with five other universities: Lehigh University, University of California-Davis, University of California San Diego, University of Miami and the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

However, the University tied with University of Wisconsin-Madison as the 10th top public school in the U.S, which is one spot higher than the 2016 ranking.

According to the report, the rankings are formulated on up to 15 different measures of academic quality, with the most emphasis placed on factors such as student graduation and retention rates.

The average six-year graduation rate among the top 10 National Universities is 95 percent, compared to 71.3 percent among all ranked universities. Freshmen retention rate among the top 10 universities is 98.1 percent as opposed to 86.9 percent for all ranked schools.

The report includes a summary of each school’s academic life, financial aid, student body and more.

Princeton University topped the list for the sixth year in a row, followed by Harvard, which was ranked second for the fourth consecutive year.