Campus announcements featuring a talk on late-Soviet pornography

Ryan Fang

I-Help volunteers take group pictures on the Main Quad on Saturday.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Noontime Scholars Lecture – Jasmina Savic, “Into the Bright Future: Mikhail Armalinsky’s Literary Revolution and Poetics of Porn”

• When: Sept. 20 at 12:00 p.m.
  • Where: 101 International Studies Building, at 910 S. Fifth St., Champaign
  • What is it: The Russian, E. European & Eurasian Center is sponsoring a talk by Jasmina Savic which addresses how pornography reemerges in the late-Soviet culture. Savic will explain how it became “an alternative discourse to the official ideology and Russian literary tradition. The talk will look at how the controversial publication of Pushkin A .S. Secret Notes 1836-1837 illustrates the way literary pornography compromises the image of ‘asexual’ Soviet society by provoking the public body to partake in an ‘orgy’ of sexual discourses.”

Flu Shots at the Ikenberry Commons  

• When: Sept. 21 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
  • Where: Ikenberry Commons Lobby
  • What is it: The campus community, students, faculty, staff and retirees can get free flu shots at the IKE. For more times and locations visit McKinley Health Center’s full list.  

iHelp

• When: Sept. 24 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  • Where: Students will volunteer at different locations in the Champaign-Urbana community.
  • What is it: iHelp is the University day of service. Thousands of students will complete volunteer and service work around the community. Various Registered Student Organizations, clubs and groups will host events and have members and other join in. Students can still sign up to participate here.

Light the Night

• When: Sept. 22 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
  • Where: Alma Mater Plaza and Hallene Gateway
  • What is it: The Campus Area Transportation Study is sponsoring the annual Light the Night event to provide more than 1,000 bike lights to students around campus. It helps to educate the public about the Illinois law regarding bike lights and also provides safety tips.

iUnite Week Keynote speaker: Tearing Hatred from the Sky

• When: Sept. 20 at 7:00 p.m.
  • Where: Illini Union in rooms ABC
  • What is it: Bree Newsome is speaking about the “unwavering belief in the power of the individual to make change.” Newsome took down the Confederate flag in front of the South Carolina statehouse in  2015 and according to the event information “established herself as a touchstone of empowerment for disenfranchised people around the world.”

Student Rural Health Careers Forum

• When: Saturday, Sept. 24 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
  •  Where: Medical Science Building, 2nd Floor Auditorium 506 S. Mathews, Urbana
  • What it is:  With the aging population, there is a growing demand for professionals to work in the rural health arena. The Forum will help students gain insight on the many careers paths you can take and the best way to get there.  Panels are set up set up with top  administrators from hospitals, Rural Health Clinics, physician practices, public health departments along with Allied Health professionals, a dentist, pharmacist, lab director, medical students, public health students and program advisors. All majors welcome. Event is free and lunch is included but please register at www.ilruralhealth.org by Sept. 22. Contact IL Rural Health Association Executive Director Margaret Vaughn 217-280-0206 or [email protected] with questions.