Recycling contest and games part of Campus Sustainability Week

Lily Katz

Trash cans overflow at the end of Quad Day. Champaign, IL. August 21, 2016.

By Ashley Harris, Contributing Writer

The University’s Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment has established a week-long “BIN IT” campaign in order to promote their Campus Sustainability Week.

Campus Sustainability Week revolves around recycling various items to divert waste from landfills as well as raising awareness about the recycling process.

The Institute’s Communication Specialist Olivia Harris said this week is mainly meant to make more students recycle.

“It is another effort to encourage and make them aware of putting recyclables in the right bin,” Harris said. “Even if it was just a few feet away, it would make a difference.”

On October 26, the Institute and Public Facilities & Services are collecting items such as paper, paperboard boxes, cardboard boxes, single soda cans and plastic bottles. Items are being collected from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Anniversary Plaza on the quad.

A prize entry will be given for the first item turned in, and then one given for every five items after that. These prizes include items like a solar-powered Bluetooth speaker and an assortment of gift cards.

The Campus Sustainability Celebration will be held that same day from 4 to 6 p.m. in the Alice Campbell Alumni Center Ballroom.  This event features door prizes, a photo booth, vegetarian snacks and cake, as well as updates on campus goals and award ceremonies for competition winners. This is also where the prize drawings will be announced.

Although fighting landfill waste growth is their first motive, the Institute also hopes to raise recycling awareness among students. Throughout campus, recycling-themed games will be in various places throughout the week for students to “Bin It to Win It”.

By 2020, the Institute hopes to divert over 45% of campus landfill by raising the rates of recycling.

Harris said they have bought 20 new recycling bins for the quad in addition to putting signs in public facilities regarding recycling.