Alumni rank in Top 20 for post graduation salary

The+Alice+Campbell+Alumni+Center+at+sunset.+

Angela Kernel

The Alice Campbell Alumni Center at sunset.

By Olivia Okocha, Staff Writer

University alumni are in the top 50 for large universities and colleges who make the most money, according to a recent ranking.

Illinois placed 16th in the nation, with a median annual salary earning of $56,600, according to a ranking by educational information site StartClass. This ranking did not surprise Jill Smart, President of the National Academy of Human Resources and alumni of Illinois Class of 1981.

We have such a diverse set of opportunities for students,” Smart said in an email. “We balance classroom with practical experience, and we have a pervasive work ethic that I think students carry with them throughout their career.”

There are 44, 880 students enrolled at the University for the fall semester. “While some may see the size of our university as intimidating, once you are here you realize it is not at all and in fact the different parts of the university provide so much opportunity to collaborate and approach education from different perspectives,” Smart said.

Part of this benefit can be the high ranking of our colleges of Engineering and Business. Both the Engineering college and the Business school are among the best in the nation, according to U.S. News.

The effect of a University degree continues past graduation for Ronald Watkins, Senior Assistant Dean in the College of Business.  Employers notice the school’s high ranking colleges, he said.

earnings-big-ten-01

“This helps bring more jobs for all the colleges on campus and it makes it more competitive for employers which drives up salaries,” Watkins said in an email.

Tech sector jobs and financial services are also to the advantage of alumni, because larger companies pay graduates more.

Melissa Newell, Assistant Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Department of Economics, credits the University with providing various career opportunities and training.

“We do a really good job of integrating real-life scenarios and pieces within the classroom and then also providing those through … consulting groups, clubs or organizations,” Newell says.

From job shadows to various field trips and immersion events, she thinks students benefit from a large campus with numerous resources.

The University’s Alumni Association also plays a strong role for both current and past students, Newell said. Alumni with their own businesses can refer back to University students when hiring for jobs and internships.

“We get a lot of former students who will say that they really want to get more Economics students in that company, or they want to make sure that Illinois students are there if a certain company is recruiting at a different neighboring school,” Newell said.

Illinois students stand out for general assets, traits, and characteristics from other students at other schools, said Bill Forsyth, President and Founder of Frontier Partners and UI Alumni Association board member.

“I’ve learned that people from across the country and around the world are drawn to Midwesterners, because we are typically grounded, reasonable and sensible,” Forsyth said in an email.

Many others agree and believe Illinois students specifically hold certain values that can be seen on campus, including Nerija Cuplinskas, freshman in LAS.  She credits students for their acceptance of diversity.

“That’s very important to accept everyone for how hard they work, and the effort they’re putting in,” Cuplinskas said. “I think that U of I definitely does that.”

The University notably promotes diversity through the “Inclusive Illinois” campaign. Cuplinskas believes this can make Illinois students more successful.

“I think we are going be more accepting of everyone else,” Cuplinskas said. “And more willing to see what they have to bring to the table instead of immediately turning them down.”