IllinoiSkating hosts eighth annual Fall Exhibition

Elisabeth Neely

The Ice Cubes performs their group routine at the annual Fall Skating Exhibition at the Ice Arena on Saturday.

By Sabrina Yan, Staff Writer

IllinoiSkating hosted its 2016 Fall Exhibition at the University Ice Arena this Saturday, kicking off the competition season for the group.

This was the eighth year the exhibition was held and as the first performance of the season for IllinoiSkating. The exhibition gives the group a chance to try out new routines.

“Every year when they put on their exhibition, they are debuting the program for that season, and all of the freestyle skaters are debuting the program for that coming year,” said Alexis Dodd, co-coach of IllinoiSkating.

IllinoiSkating, which was started in 2001, is a synchronized skating group that has developed into an organization that attracts nationally renowned coaches and skaters.

“The collegiate skating team now has 17 skaters who are trained all year to skate one program together at four competitions,” said Dodd. “All of them are lead skaters with a high level of skills.”

All of the members have been skating for around 15 years, according to Rosie Hillenbrand, senior in FAS and a member of the collegiate team.

IllinoiSkating gave 16 single and team performances during the exhibition along with two local synchronized skating teams, the Ice Cubes and Champaign-Urbana skaters. The skaters ranged from ages eight to 17.

The exhibition was divided into two parts. Each section began with a performance by the collegiate team followed by individual skatings.

“We went out there and we tried our best, and it’s early in the season so we are sure to do better,” Hillenbrand said.

Some spectators traveled from across the country to see the performance.

Julian Lopez, a student at San Diego State University, traveled to Champaign to watch his girlfriend perform. He enjoyed the performance and plans on coming back for next year’s exhibition.

“It’s really great. There are a lot of great people up there,” Lopez said. “I am hoping to see more improvements and new moves (next year),” Lopez said.

Dodd said IllinoiSkating is always looking toward the future.

“Every year we are hoping to get more and more skaters as graduating seniors go, as we are hoping to get more incoming freshman,” Dodd said. “So our plan is to grow the program and eventually see the synchronized skating make it to the Olympics.”