Office of Volunteer Programs conducts Holiday Toy Drive 2016

By Karen Liu and Sabrina Yan

The Office of Volunteer Programs is organizing the 2016 Holiday Toy Drive on campus for underprivileged children, 12 and under. The goal is to donate 1,000 toys to Champaign County Toys for Tots.

“We are not planning on counting them this year, but we hope that with enough donations, we can fulfill our goals just providing for the community,” said David Cao, a student worker at the Office of Volunteer Programs responsible for the Drive.

Donation boxes are accessible at various locations on campus. The toys donated are required to be unwrapped and new.

The OVP also provides a wish list from which people can choose from to donate to the cause.

The toys collected will be donated to the Toys for Tots’ drive, which will end on Dec. 18. Children will be able to receive toys several days before Christmas, according to Cao.

The Champaign County Toys for Tots is also accepting money donation, volunteers and help in setting up a collection box.

“We believe that the toy drive in general is an event to provide positive holiday experience for children and families in need,” Cao said.

Karen Liu and Sabrina Yan contributed to this report.