Voting for student leadership, campus referendums begins Wednesday

+The+candidates+for+student+government%2C+Bobby+Knier%2C+Raneem+Shamseldin+and+Jesse+Tabak%2C+face+off+in+a+debate+at+the+Illini+Union+room+209+on+Monday%2C+March+6th.+

Patrick Li

The candidates for student government, Bobby Knier, Raneem Shamseldin and Jesse Tabak, face off in a debate at the Illini Union room 209 on Monday, March 6th.

By Samantha Jones Toal, Assistant News Editor

From March 8 to March 9, students can vote online to choose their desired candidate for student body president, student trustee, student organization resource fee board, and campus senate and student government representatives for each college.

A campus-wide referendum will also include voting on the Student Transportation fee, the Krannert Center fee, the Collegiate Readership fee and whether or not the University should divest from companies that violate human rights.

The students running for student body president can be found under the Illinois Student Government Executives section.

This is the first year Illinois Student Government is having their president elected by the student population instead of internal members.

Students can cast all their votes at vote.illinois.edu.

Student Body President Candidates

Candidate: Raneem Shamseldin, junior in Business
Running mate: Joey Domanski, junior in LAS

Candidate: Bobby Knier, junior in LAS
Running mate: Laura Saldivar, first-year master’s student in Communications

Candidate: Jesse Tabak, first-year junior in DGS
Running mate: Matt Carr, freshman in Engineering

Student Trustee Candidates

Trayshawn Mitchell
Thomas “Tommy” Justison
Emily Tuttle

No further information on the Student Trustee candidates is available.

Student Organization Resource Fee Board

Roger Erickson
Kevin Cheng
Peter Laudeman
Xavier Morgan
Noah Gilbert

Student Transportation fee

According to the campus-wide referendum, this fee is charged to students to fund transportation services provided by the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (CUMTD), including bus service and SafeRides.

Krannert Center fee

According to the campus-wide referendum, the Krannert Center fee funds multiple free events and tickets that cost $10 or less for University students at every performance.

Collegiate Readership fee

According to the campus-wide referendum, the Collegiate Readership Program offers The New York Times, Chicago Tribune and USA Today at up to twenty-one locations on campus.

Divestment

According to the campus-wide referendum, students will vote on whether or not the University should recommend to the Board of Trustees that the University divest, or withdraw investments, from companies which actively normalize, engage in or fund recognized human rights violations of marginalized groups worldwide.