Cracked expands from food truck to permanent location

Jessica Bursztynsky

While it started off as a food truck, Cracked opened its first permanent location this spring. The truck parks near the Engineering Quad in the morning so you can grab that pre-exam fuel.

By Jessica Bursztynsky, News Editor

Cracked, a popular late-night food option, expanded from its food truck to a permanent restaurant location at 619 E. Green St. on Monday.

“I think people are excited as we are,” said Cracked owner Daniel Krause.

The restaurant is doing a soft opening with limited hours until Saturday, April 1, said Krause. The permanent location will be open Monday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday through Friday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. to 3 a.m.

The restaurant will be regularly operating from 8 a.m. to 3 a.m., but Krause said they wanted to pace themselves with the opening.

The Cracked food truck is expected to operate as normal.

Kasi Manikumar, junior in Engineering, said he visits the Cracked food truck about once a week.

“The truck was parked in a really good location,” Manikumar said because the truck parked near the Siebel Center on the Engineering Quad.

Manikumar said he was not aware that the Cracked location was opening today, which Krause said was slightly planned.

After keeping a limited social media appearance, Cracked first announced its opening date and time on March 25.

Krause said he was hoping students would come back from break and get excited that the location was open, while also maintaining the idea of a soft opening.

Although there is the new location, Krause said the menu is still going to be very similar to the original food truck’s menu. The only additions so far will be breakfast bowls and grilled cheese sandwiches.