Carle Illinois College of Medicine advances from applicant school to candidate school

Carle+Foundation+Hospital+as+seen+from+University+Avenue.+The+Carle+Illinois+College+of+Medicine+recently+appointed+two+leadership+members+to+permanent+positions.+

Carle Foundation Hospital as seen from University Avenue. The Carle Illinois College of Medicine recently appointed two leadership members to permanent positions.

By Kevin Delgado, Staff Reporter

The Carle Illinois College of Medicine is the first college in the nation specifically designed to fuse engineering and medicine.

A partnership between the University and Carle Health System will combine the University’s advanced engineering, technology and supercomputing programs with Carle’s health care system.

“The college is designed to teach a new kind of doctor who will leverage engineering and medicine to provide better health care to more people at a lower cost, balancing all of the resources at the University and the Carle Health System,” Libby Kacich, director of communications and marketing for the Carle Illinois College of Medicine, said.

An on-site preliminary accreditation survey visit will be conducted by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education from June 20-23 at the Carle Illinois College of Medicine.

The survey visit means the college will advance from applicant school to candidate school, following the review of its data collection and self-study submitted in November 2016.

On March 14, the Illinois Board of Higher Education approved the new college.

Medical educators and professional members of the Liaison Committee will make up the survey-visit team that will determine the program’s readiness for preliminary accreditation.

The team will review the college’s performance in developing curriculum based on engineering and technology over the course of three days.

Other areas of focus include facility and faculty recruitment progress.

“Our faculty and staff are guided by four key qualities: compassion, competence, curiosity and creativity, so we are looking for that in new hires as well. Collaborativity is also a really important part of our faculty makeup,” Kacich said.

In the fall of 2018, a Liaison Committee board meeting will be held to evaluate the report assessing the college’s readiness to admit its first class of 32 future physician innovators. Until preliminary accreditation is received, the college may not recruit students.