Peter Frampton returns to Champaign for postponed concert

Peter+Frampton+and+Steve+Lukather+perform+at+the+El+Rey+Theatre+in+Los+Angeles+on+Jan.+20%2C+2014.+

TNS

Peter Frampton and Steve Lukather perform at the El Rey Theatre in Los Angeles on Jan. 20, 2014.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Artist Peter Frampton is set to appear for a rescheduled concert at the Virginia Theatre in downtown Champaign. The concert is scheduled for 8 p.m. on Friday, April 14, with doors opening at 7 p.m.

People who bought tickets for last Thursday’s show will receive replacement tickets for the April 14 show, which will be mailed to them by Tuesday. Additional reserved tickets are on sale at the Virginia box office, the Virginia website and by phone at 217-356-9063.

The reason for the show being postponed was due to a malfunction in sound equipment.

“A piece of the artist’s sound equipment malfunctioned about three songs into his performance at the Virginia last Thursday,” said Steven Bentz, representative for the Virginia Theatre in an email.

Bentz said that Frampton’s team worked hard to fix the problem, which resulted from a bad sound console or main fiber optic cable, but unfortunately could not resolve the issue, and thus, the show had to be postponed.

A full house is expected to be in attendance on April 14. The theater’s capacity is 1463 seats.

Frampton is one of the most celebrated artists and guitarists in rock history.  He has collaborated with artists such as George Harrison, Harry Nilsson, David Bowie and many others.

“Mr. Frampton was unbelievably gracious throughout the whole process, from the moment the sound system failed through to re-booking the date,” Bentz said.

After the sound system failed at the show, Bentz said that Frampton tried to continue what he could of the show.

“He seemed genuinely sorry for the cancelled set. He was tremendously nice to the audience and played a couple of songs right from the lip of the stage without any amplification,” Bentz said. “ It really seemed like the patrons had shared in something special with him — most sang along.”

Taylor Howard and Jessica Berbey contributed to this report.