C-U celebrates Independence Day

Champaign is hosting its 68th annual Freedom Celebration on July 4, kicking off the day with a 5k. An on-campus firework show will conclude the holiday.

By Wren Wheeling, Staff Writer

With 4th of July right around the corner, Champaign County and surrounding areas have a long list of activities and events planned for the upcoming days. There are fireworks and family-friendly celebrations coming up in the next week, all leading up to the day of independance.

On July 1, the Ice Cream and Independance event we be held at the Virginia Theatre. There will be an ice cream social outside the theater from 5  to 6:30 p.m. and a concert from the Champaign-Urbana Civic Wind Band beginning at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.

On the same day, Arthur’s Freedom Celebration and Fireworks will be held at Jurgens Park in Arthur, IL. Craft shows, helicopter rides, petting zoos, fireworks and more are planned for this celebration. The event will begin at 4 p.m. and end around 10 p.m.

The 68th annual Champaign County Freedom Celebration will be holding events in various areas around Kirby Ave. and the State Farm Center. The Celebration will begin with a 5k which starts at 9:05am on Florida Ave. between First and Fourth St.

Registration for the race will begin at 7:30 a.m. in the State Farm Centers’ Northeast Parking Lot. A parade will begin at 11:05 a.m. near First St. and Kirby Ave. and a firework show will start at 9:15 p.m. at the University parking lot E14, West of State Farm Center.

The evening program between the events will include live music performances and inflatables.

Sholem Pool will be holding a celebration on July 4 beginning at 11 a.m. This event will include free face painting, a watermelon eating contest, a cannon ball contest for adults, an ice cream eating contest and more.