Pie Run lets you have your pie and eat it too

The+Taste+of+Champaign+includes+a+Pie+Run+this+year.+Participants+can+run+3.14+miles+through+the+festival+on+August+19%2C+stopping+for+water+and+pie+breaks+along+the+way.+

The Daily Illini file photo

The Taste of Champaign includes a Pie Run this year. Participants can run 3.14 miles through the festival on August 19, stopping for water and pie breaks along the way.

By Jessica Bursztynsky, Interim Editor-in-Chief

Prepare yourself for the Taste of Champaign by running 3.14 miles and by dodging flying pies along the way.

The Champaign Park District is hosting the Pie Run 2017 on Saturday, August 19 from 6 to 7 p.m. at West Side Park.

The run – which starts and ends at the food festival – has both water and pie stops along the way. The pie is provided from local shops.

The final length will have two options: “pie free” and “flying pie.” Those who choose the pie free route will remain clean for the remainder of the race, while the flying pie route will have participants dodging flying cream pies.

Registration is $20 for residents and $30 for non-residents. Those who register by July 31 will receive a t-shirt and those who register by August 16 are guaranteed a spot.

On site registration is available if there is space.

Award categories for the Pie Run include:

-Lord of the Pies – for the first male and female finisher.

-Pie in the Sky – for the best pi/pie themed costume for males and females.

-Pie Wise Guy – “Participant who tells the best pie/pi related joke or pun at the start line,” according to the event’s Facebook page.

-Flying Pie Award – for both a male and female participant who finishes the flying pie’s lane in an impressive fashion.

Walkers and runners are welcome, as are event themed costumes.