Construction projects wrap up, some remain for the summer

As the semester comes to an end, several construction projects across the campus have been substantially completed, and some remain to be completed over the summer.

According to Steve Breitwieser, communications officer of Facilities and Services, capital improvement projects have been completed over the course of the year at the following locations: the Integrated Bioprocessing Research Laboratory, the Agricultural Engineering Sciences Laboratory, the South Farms, the Illini Union and the Construction Engineering Research Laboratory.

Breitwieser said in an email there will be more than 40 active capital projects in the construc

tion phase on the Urbana side of campus this summer.

“Some high-profile projects are the Bruce D. Nesbitt African American Cultural Center, the Siebel Center for Design, the Illinois Street Residence Dining Facility, Freer Hall renovation and the Football Performance Center,” Breitwieser said.

Work will also continue on Everitt Laboratory, he said, as part of the Grainger Engineering Breakthroughs Initiative, which is transforming the building into the home for the Department of Bioengineering when the facility formally opens this fall.

Breitwieser said each capital improvement project is unique, requiring specific project planning and management.

“One of the goals in the capital projects planning and transfer phases is … to outline and develop an appropriate schedule for project execution and minimize potential inconveniences to students, faculty and staff,” he said.

The summer period, from immediately after Commencement until the start of the fall semester, with a reduced number of students and faculty on campus, provides a time frame for significant project work to occur, he said.