New director of Facilities & Services appointed

By Veronica Mierek, Contributing writer

Mohamed Attalla has been appointed as the new executive director of Facilities & Services, effective July 23.

Attalla has 33 years of experience in construction and facilities, as well as teaching and conducting research. He has also been working in facilities management in education for the past 24 years, Attalla said in an email. According to the press release, these experiences gave him platforms to relate with faculty and students, as well as his leadership and skills.

“He is a skilled strategic planner and a team builder who understands how to prioritize and advance both the qualities of employee morale and customer satisfaction,” Chancellor Robert Jones said in the press release.

Attalla was previously the assistant vice president and chief facilities officer for McMaster University, where he completed the advanced executive management and executive Master of Business Administration programs. Attalla said he also supported the research of students and mentored them while serving as an adjunct professor.

“[The University] is ranked as a top research institution in the United States and in the world. The university has a very good sized campus which stimulates the interest of the facilities professional in me,” he said.

Attalla said he is also attracted to the commitment to diversity, inclusion and sustainability the University has to offer. 

According to the press release, Attalla also has a doctorate in construction engineering and management, as well as a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering.

“I am really looking forward to getting to know the University of Illinois community closely. I wish to work with the entire facilities team and build a strong and cohesive team that is very much aligned with the university mission and vision,” Attalla says.

He said he is looking forward to meeting with everyone on campus and be of service to the community of scholars and critical thinkers.

Attalla’s appointment as executive director is subject to approval by the University of Illinois Board of Trustees.