Soy flour supplies high-quality protein on low budget

Peter Goldsmith, lead researcher of the search for low-cost protein source.

By Zihan Wang, Staff Writer

For developing nations in search for a cost-effective protein source, soy might be a low-cost, high-quality choice, according to a research paper based on research conducted in Ghana, west Africa.

As the paper, published in the peer-reviewed journal “Food and Nutrition Bulletin,” stated, University researchers conducted a detailed case study of four caterers supplying a traditional tomato stew recipe in northern Ghana to support school lunch programs.

The study showed the importance of measuring nutritional content, costs and quantities of the actual school lunch. Researchers also proved locally-produced soy flour as an ingredient can lower costs and raise nutrition as a substitution for other locally produced protein resources, such as ground beef and mackerel.

Peter Goldsmith, professor in ACES and co-author of the paper, said in their research they found the lunch food mixed with soy flour can provide protein, and it is also a good resource for providing amino acids.

He said soy flour is the best option for governments to provide lunch for students with a low budget.

“Policymakers need to validate soy supply chains to assure wide availability, stable pricing and reliable quality levels, whether the product is soy flour,  (texturized soy protein) or tofu,” the paper said.

As data by the Illinois Soybean Association show, Illinois ranks second nationally in soybean exports, with around 9 million acres of soybeans grown annually in Illinois.

Goldsmith said, in the world, soybean is mostly used for oil and livestock forage. Also because of the culture in Asia, there is a higher percentage of soy use for human needs, for meals. But outside of Asia, soybeans are not a main part of the cuisine.

“So those (places outside Asia) are potential markets for soy inclusion,” Goldsmith said.

For students, Goldsmith said most dietitians would argue the recipes including soy products could be healthier because people can acquire protein without fat intake, and the food is also high in amino acids. But Goldsmith said what is more important is the preference, which makes people accept the food.

In America in the 1970s, according to Goldsmith, the use of soy in cuisine was an introduced idea from Asia. He said there could always be a niche market for soybean lovers, but for the mass consumption of soybean products, people should think about how to make the food taste like what consumers are more familiar with.

“It has to be an American eye in terms of its appearance (and) its flavor, so it has to be integrated into American cuisine,” Goldsmith said.