Diverse Business Opportunity Fair to explore expanding diversity at UI

By Hannah Preston, Interim editor-in-chief

Following last year’s fair involving more than 200 business, the University announced plans for the second annual Diverse Business Opportunity Fair to take place on Aug. 28.

The fair kicks off with opening remarks at noon and will contain both a vendor fair from 1-4 p.m. and a networking reception at 4 p.m.

The vendors featured are businesses and companies owned by minorities, women, veterans and people with disabilities intended to cultivate relationships with the UI system in terms of service and supply needs.

The UI system stated Wednesday in a news release the expansion of diversity has become a priority across all three universities in the system, and the Board of Trustees intends to encourage University leaders to opt for patronizing suppliers who represent the diverse groups in the U.S.

Vendors will have the opportunity to learn about programs and resources dedicated to assisting them, as well as enrollment in government programs like the Illinois Procurement Gateway and the State of Illinois’ Business Enterprise Program.

The fair will take place at the iHotel Conference Center in Champaign, and vendors are encouraged to register at https://go.uillinois.edu/2019diversebusinessfairuofi, by phone at (217) 244-9671 or by email at [email protected].