University Massmail alerts students of mumps case

By Clare Budin, Assistant Daytime News Editor

In a Massmail sent to students Friday, the University notified the campus community that a suspected case of mumps had been reported at the McKinley.

The email stated McKinley had already notified students and faculty in the Chemistry Department about possible exposure.

According  to McKinley, mumps is a viral illness that may present itself in sporadic outbreaks throughout the year. It is highly contagious from three days before to five days after symptoms begin appearing. 

While some people may not experience symptoms when infected, mumps appears with swollen and painful salivary glands, high fever, headache, fatigue and loss of appetite.

Mumps is not airborne, but can spread through droplets of saliva or mucus from the mouth, nose or throat of someone who is infected.

Preventable by vaccination, multiple health care centers in the Champaign-Urbana community provide Measles, Mumps, and Rubella  vaccinations available for anyone who has not been vaccinated.

The MMR vaccination was highly encouraged in early February when four cases of measles broke into the C-U community.

To prevent further spreading of the illness, students are advised to cover their noses and mouths when coughing or sneezing, wash their hands frequently, refrain from sharing food utensils, avoid close contact with those showing symptoms and avoid touching their eyes, nose or mouth.

However, the most effective way to avoid a full outbreak according to McKinley is to be immunized with the MMR vaccine. At least two doses of MMR vaccine is required for all University students in addition to immunization of other vaccine-preventable diseases. 

The University encouraged students who believe they may have mumps to seek care at McKinley, and if the illness is confirmed, to not attend class in order to avoid further spreading of the disease.